Helene Honduras

Helene Honduras
Northside Palm

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Doctor visit

So, I love to learn new things! We had the pleasure of having Dr Kurt here this past week with his daughter – and for weeks before a doc's arrival I prayed that God would provide the opportunity to learn new techniques and procedures. This was no exception; again, I was not disappointed. He brought me a cool tool for removing warts, skin tags, lesions and the like, and we had several chances to put it to use. I also learned, in picture and theory at least, how to anesthetize an entire hand or foot, which will be especially useful for a situation with several lacerations or wounds that need cleaning or suturing – I only wish we'd had the chance to actually do it on a patient, but we discussed it enough, and he left me written instructions, so that I feel I could manage the procedure. He was so very encouraging to me, and the entire team, what a blessing! It was his first mission trip ever; I pray that the Lord uses this experience to draw him into future missions experiences, and for his daughter to have a hunger for more of this, too!!

Today we have a youth team coming in later, 15 just graduated high schoolers with 5 adults – more opportunities for God to draw them into His work for the Kingdom!! It excites me to see others find the joy of serving our Lord in various ways, diverse places, and stretching our realm of possibility beyond what we previously thought possible!

1 comment:

Christy Malone said...

Yea! Yea! Yea, Deirdre!! As Marjie would say, "He's most likely ruined for life!" :) Of course, we know that she meant that no provider could work in that clinic for a week and return to his or her patients in the states as the same provider that left.

Example: Provider finds herself reaching for the umpteenth time for a certain instrument, dressing, or med that she uses on a daily basis back home -- but it's not there! So she makes do while making mental note to round up all the extra X, Y, and Z's from friends in the biz and ship them to the clinic. Then she later makes a house call at 2 a.m. (because there's no one else to do it)for a patient in distress, and silently notes that there are garden sheds in certain neighborhoods at home bigger than where this family of 6 resides. And that's how our nice little comfort zones are blown to bits and perspectives forever changed. And Marjie would say with a big smile on her face, "Ruined for life!" :)

So glad you had a great experience and got to round out your medical degree, girlfriend!

(And I wanted to apologize for not ever having checked out your blog properly!! You know I'm a weirdo..but I love how you've chosen a different font for each entry! lol) Looks great.