Helene Honduras

Helene Honduras
Northside Palm

Monday, July 05, 2010

Team of teens

Well, off went our 2nd team of the season on Friday morning. They were a great team of teens and young adults, very hard workers, easily engaging with the islanders, and willing to serve in whatever way was needed. We had some brutally hot weather during their time here, too, with temps up in the 90's and little breeze to cool the skin, nevertheless they complained very little and accomplished much. They built 10 pews for the Northside church, put new screens up around the clinic, varnished the floor in the medical reception area – as well as doing kid's club, sports camp, visitation and "Clean Sweep"; all in all a very busy time! Fortunately, they also got to play, with a jungle hike, beach swims, and a snorkeling trip. But the highlight of the groups time, for me, was meeting the one girl that came along at the last minute. She stated that she didn't know, or necessarily believe in, God. She joined the group at her piano teacher's recommendation when she'd mentioned a desire to go on a trip outside the country to help and serve. She was open to learn, but cautious at the same time. She and I had several opportunities to spend time together, yet I didn't try to influence her with saying much, just asked a few questions here and there. She did come to me later and said that I'd had a big impact on her, though, and that she wanted some of the joy and peace that she saw I have. She didn't realize, until I told her, that it was not me that was drawing her in, it was Christ in me, the hope of glory, the Prince of peace. I am thrilled that He used me in this way, and that she could see Him in my life! She had many other experiences here that have brought her to the conclusion that she does, indeed, believe in God, and I am convinced she will explore His presence further as she processes her time here in Helene. Pray for her with me, wouldn't you please?

No comments: