Helene Honduras

Helene Honduras
Northside Palm

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The beauty of challenges

Life here in Helene is a challenge for me in many ways. There are the physical challenges, such as dealing with the heat and humidity, the bug bites, the multitude and variety of noises, and the constant fatigue. Then there are the emotional difficulties that come with living in a community setting with others that I am not related to except by rebirth, and with living among people of a different culture and traditions. You cannot hide; you cannot do or say pretty much anything without it directly affecting the rest of your team here. Then there are the spiritual pressures and changes constantly going on. These are both intensely positive, and at times incredibly difficult to go through. I believe that this is where I have gained most by this season of my life. I cannot say for sure, but I can see this may be the main reason that God brought me here to Helene. I am so very thankful for that – He loves me enough not to leave me in the condition that I am. He always desires to stretch me, to mold me, and to entice me to reach into Him in new and delightful ways! There are times when I am like the caterpillar that is ravenous, eating and eating up life for some future, yet unknown purpose. Sometimes I feel like I am in the cocoon, bound up and going through a metamorphosis that is not pleasant, but is necessary. Then, as you can imagine, there are those wonderful, breathtaking moments when I have fought hard, and am now emerging from the cocoon, newly formed, ready to stretch out my wings to bask in the Son, to gain strength from His love, to fly out into the world for His purposes! Oh, glory and relish those days! For before you know it, the cycle repeats, the pain of change returns, and the purpose of life continues – to learn and grow to be more like our Creator.

No comments: