Helene Honduras

Helene Honduras
Northside Palm

Friday, April 16, 2010

Trouble in rest

In reading the Old Testament lately, it has become clear to me that whenever the Israelites had "rest" from war, or had time on their hands for whatever reason, they found trouble. They either got bored with the status quo, or were able to be too aware of the distractions of the nations around them, or something, because that is when they soon "turned from the Lord to their own wicked ways". Give them a little time and freedom, they then 'left' God and began following the evil in their hearts. So I had to internalize this, and look into my own life. Have there been times of too much peace and rest when I have fallen away from the Lord? Is that when I have been distracted from Him, and allowed myself to follow the lusts of my own wicked heart? Is this part of the reason that God ordained 6 days of work and just one of rest? I do understand the need for rest, we all get battle wearied at times, and just need to rest in the Lord, my problem is that I won't do that often enough. I will just continue working and striving, all in vain because I am following my own road instead of just looking to Him and staying in the shadow of His wings, listening to His voice to tell me "go there, speak this, touch here, walk there…". This is a different kind of rest, one that is just a freedom from having to figure it all out myself. He tells us over and over again to "wait on the Lord", which means as I wait, I must focus on Him, not on the world around me. Here is the safety in rest without the idleness leading to sin. As you who know me know, I have difficulty 'resting', but understanding the importance of resting in the Lord makes it that much more desirable a thing to do!

No comments: